Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chillwave, Freak Folk, Neo-Psychedelia...zzzzzzz

All of those genre terms have caught fire in the last year and a half or so.  I don't get it and I couldn't figure out why.  Until now.  You probably read a bunch of "best of 09" lists at the end of last year and wondered who is this Animal Collective and why haven't I heard it.  The answer is probably because it's pretty boring.  People talk more about how they like it than they actually play it, so it's doubtful someone put it on at a party or you heard it at a bar, in the car, while shopping, etc.  You'll get a big argument from people who like these bands though. Don't let them make you feel bad or out of touch, you have a good excuse (see below).
Here's my list of top 5 bands you're supposed to like but probably don't
1.  Animal Collective
2.  Joanna Newsom
3.  Beach House
4.  Grizzly Bear
5.  Fleet Foxes

They all at times can lack melody, or be a little repetitive and droning or have distant vocals.  Before I was a parent I had no problem with this, there was plenty of time in my life for so called experimental music.  You need patience to listen to these bands before it sinks in.  I use up most of my patience these days on being a parent.

This is what set the lightbulb off for me as to why I don't "get" these bands.  I'm sure all the parents out there can relate.  Think of Animal Collective as Stewie,  they probably giggle when someone like me says they hate them.


Thanks Katherine!  Now I don't feel like I have to hide my disdain for those bands.

2 comments:

  1. Probably my least favorite style of indie music going right now. There are some highlights but can't make it through a cd without falling asleep. And just can't stand Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, one song at a time. In small doses I'm ok with toro y moi, washed out, Local Natives is really growing on me but enough with all the remixes, neon indian is pretty cool, memory tapes, crystal castles blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete