Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Shuffle vs. Q101

This week I'll be taking on my old roommate, Tim Virgin and Q101.  He's on air in the afternoons and he's the music director, which means he's responsible for every song on the station that gets played.  For those of you who didn't know, DJ's at radio stations have nothing to do with what songs are aired, except when the DJ happens to also be the Music Director or Program Director.    Last week I took on WXRT and the duo of John Farneda (MD) and Norm Winer (PD), they say that the DJ's get to vote every week on new songs added to the playlist but it still comes down to what Norm wants and doesn't want.  I think my shuffle beat them pretty handily.  You may disagree, but you may also really like The Fray.

So here we go:  I present Virgin and WKQX, 101.1 (Chicago's Alternative).
3:01 Pearl Jam "Better Man"
3:05 Deftones "Diamond Eyes"
3:09 311 "Don't Tread On Me"
3:19 Sick Puppies "You're Going Down"
3:22 Fratellis "Chelsea Dagger"
3:25 Rage Against the Machine "Killing In the Name"
3:30 Garbage "Stupid Girl"
3:34 Three Days Grace "The Good Life"
3:37 Linkin Park "Crawlin"
3:40 Red Hot Chili Peppers "Breaking the Girl"
3:53 Korn "Make Me Bad"
3:57 Against Me! "I Was a Teenage Anarchist"

My Friday Morning Shuffle:
Birdmonster "The Iditarod"  download 4 songs free here http://birdmonster.posterous.com/
Husker Du "Ain't No Water In the Well" 




Ain't no water in the well – Husker Du
Spoon "Utilitarian"
Mudhoney "Dissolve"
Kristin Hersh "Houdini Blues"
Jason Collett "We All Lose One Another"
Against Me! "American Abroad"
Los Campesinos! "It's Never Easy Though, Is It?"
Big Black "Fists Of Love"
Johnny Cash "A Boy Named Sue"
Blur "Sing"


Result? You tell me.

So weird, last week my shuffle played Nirvana, which XRT played in the random time frame I picked, and this week Q101 and myself both played Against Me!.  Pretty good programming by Q101, going after the young testosterone laden boys, but for the playlist that appeals to the 44 year old male sitting on his couch in lincoln square I have to give this one to my playlist.  Me 2 - World 0.
Another oddity in my playlist, the Blur song is from the Trainspotting Soundtrack.  Crazy because yesterday I ran in to someone I know at Chava Cafe who told me he was building a house for Irvine Welsh, who is the author of Trainspotting.  How does Itunes do that?  And two bands with exclamation points in their names?  odd.  also, two live songs, johnny cash is from san quinten and husker du is a live track.


No comments:

Post a Comment