Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Ting Tings/Social Media/Song of the Day

The Ting Tings - "Hands"

The Ting Tings are another band in the recent trend of good two piece bands along with Mates of State, Matt and Kim, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Captain and Tennille (just seeing if you're paying attention), Sleigh Bells, Local H and No Age.  I'm sure there are a bunch more, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.  This British duo consists of perpetual sunglass wearing Ivor Novello and Jules De Martino, they switch off between playing drums, guitar, bass, keyboards and cowbell.  They are definitely the most pop sounding of the bands I mentioned above.
I'm not featuring these guys today because I think it's a great song (it falls a little too much on the mainstream pop side of sound for my tastes), it's just an ok song.  Rather I want to show how bands and their labels (in this case Columbia) are getting a little carried away with using social media to promote.
If you want to download this song then click this http://bit.ly/tingtingshands, which will bring you to their facebook page, if you want to listen to the song you have to click on the "like" button, if you then decide you want to download the song you have to enter your email address, then they send you a confirmation email back, in which you have to click another link to go to another site where you then have to right click in order to download the song.  make sense?  I know, getting a little out of control, that's why you need "music for parents" to sift through all this for you.  If you want to then download a remix of the song, go back to the facebook page and click on the "share" button...I stopped at this point, not sure what other hoops you have to jump through after that.
Here is a remix of their excellent first single from their first album:
The Ting Tings - "That's not my Name" (LA Riots Remix)


No comments:

Post a Comment