Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Finding New Music


People always ask me "how do you find new music?", and this isn't a new question, it's been asked for the 15 + years I've been in the music industry.  It was happening well before blogs, file sharing, pitchfork etc.  It used to help that I traveled around the country visiting radio, talking to the local clubs, seeing shows (and many unknown opening bands) and getting tips from other label people and bands.  First and foremost though it comes from being a fan of music.  For all the free music I've received over the years I've probably purchased more than I was given.  I subscribed to music magazines, picked up small zines in the record store window, bought unknown artists based on what label they were on, paid attention to who they thanked in the liner notes, listened to the late night "specialty shows" and college radio etc.

It's pretty much the same now, except you can do it all from your living room, and by "you" I mean the reader of this blog.  I watch KEXP live in studio recordings on my TV streamed through my Apple TV player from which I searched Youtube.  I'll get an IM on Facebook from someone asking me to download a new album from a band they are managing, or a text from a band telling me they are playing a show.  I subscribe to a Podcast like The Tripwire which downloads new music to my Itunes automatically when a new show is put out, new music made simple.  Hopefully you'll slowly work your way back to being a Parent in Touch.  More tips to come, but for now check out The Tripwire link above and listen to the songs below.


Here are today's songs of the day.  You should be able to right click to download or just press play to listen.




Cults "Go Outside"

Ariel Pinks Haunted Graffiti "Round and Round"

No comments:

Post a Comment